About this qualification
The purpose of the qualification is to support learners in frontline roles with an understanding of suicide risk and triggers. It will increase awareness that suicide is preventable and will promote open discussion of negative feelings and suicide intent. The qualification will promote a positive solution-focused approach and signpost to professional support where appropriate.
Who is it suitable for?
This qualification is aimed at individuals in a frontline role who want to gain skills in having a conversation with an individual at potential suicide risk. Learners may have contact with vulnerable people in a variety of community, social and educational settings.
Their role could involve interacting with individuals at suicide risk and facilitating access to intervention and support services. Equally, learners may have a gatekeeper role contributing to suicide prevention in the workplace.
What are the entry requirements?
Learners should be aged 16 or above to undertake this qualification.
How is this qualification structured?
The qualification comprises of a single mandatory unit with 9 learning outcomes.
How is it assessed?
The qualification is internally assessed with an externally quality assured portfolio of evidence. This qualification includes a simulated conversation with an individual at suicide risk and observation activity.
Do you need to be working to take this qualification?
This is a knowledge-only qualification. Experience in the real work environment is not required.
What related qualifications can you progress to?
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- NCFE CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health (601/8968/X)
- NCFE CACHE Level 3 Award in the Awareness of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 (601/3621/2).
Other qualifications in the area of mental health that may be of interest are:
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems (601/3438/0)
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Mental Health Awareness (600/6134/0)
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Working with People with Mental Health Needs (601/3434/3)
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People’s Mental Health (603/2813/7)
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health First Aid and Mental Health Advocacy in the Workplace (603/5148/2).
This is a knowledge-based qualification and would be useful for staff development.